Free PTE-IELTS Workshop Every Wednesday From 5:30 P.M. - 6:30 P.M. Click Here To Apply

Subclass 190 Skilled Nominated Visa

For those who don’t have an occupation on the MLTSSL  but do have one on CLESO , or those who need a few extra points to reach the minimum score they need, the subclass 190 Skilled Nominated visa is a good option. To apply for this visa you must be nominated by a state or territory in Australia and must commit to living and working there for 2 years.

Application Process

1.    Identify an occupation on the CLESO

2.    Identify a state or territory which lists that occupation on their migration plan

3.    Apply for and receive a positive skills assessment for your skilled occupation

4.    If necessary, sit an English test

5.    Lodge an application with the relevant state or territory for nomination (some states do not require this)

6.    Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) with SkillSelect

7.    Receive invitation to apply

8.    Make application within 60 days


Visa Eligibility Criteria

The major criteria for a subclass 190 Skilled Nominated visa are:

·         Nomination by a state or territory of Australia

·         A positive skills assessment for your occupation

·         Achieving an English standard of at least IELTS 6 or equivalent

·         Being aged between 18 and 49 inclusive. In other words, you cannot have turned 50.

·         Standard health and character criteria (link to health and character page)

·         Having at least 60 points on the General Skilled Migration points test


State Nomination

Every state and territory in Australia has its own criteria for nomination. Some give advantages to graduates from that state or territory, people already living and working in the region or people who have family present in that area of Australia. You can find specific information at the following links:

·         Western Australia (link to:

·         Northern Territory (link to:

·         Queensland (link to:

·         New South Wales (link to:

·         Australian Capital Territory (link to:

·         Victoria (link to:

·         Tasmania (link to:

·         South Australia (link to:


The Points Test

All candidates to migrate to Australia through the General Skilled Migration program are ranked based on a points test. Applicants must reach at least 60 points, but those with higher points will be invited before those with lower points. Click here to work out how many points you currently have. Please note you receive 5 points for being nominated by a state or territory for a subclass 190 visa.

There is a limited number of invitations that will be issued for each occupation in any given year, but in practice very few occupations will ever reach this occupation ceiling. Occupations that are likely to reach the occupation ceiling are handled differently to other occupations and you may require a higher score than 60 points to receive an invitation for one of these occupations. Click here for more information about the points test and which occupations require more than 60 points.


Common Problems for Applicants

·         It’s important to nominate the correct occupation for the position you are nominating. The nominated occupation can be the difference between visa grant and visa refusal, and you cannot change your mind after the application has been lodged.

·         We recommend that visa applicants attend an English test as soon as possible after deciding to apply for a General Skilled Migration visa, if you have not already achieved the required level of English in the last three years.

·         If you want to apply from within Australia, always be aware of your current visa’s expiry date and conditions. Letting a visa expire without applying for a new one can have severe consequences, even if you try to apply the next day.

Red Earth Migration can assist you to work out the correct nominated occupation, advise on the best English test to suit you and keep you informed about work with you to make sure your visa application is lodged before your current visa expires. Contact us on 08 6161 9239 for a consultation today.

Subclass 190 Applicant FAQ

Where can I apply from?

You can apply from either outside Australia or inside Australia.

Where can I receive the visa?

You can receive the visa either outside Australia or inside Australia.

What family members can I include?

Children under the age of 23 and spouses or de facto partners. Children over 18 must be financially dependent on you.

Can the health requirement (link) be waived for this visa?

This visa does not allow for waiver of the health requirement.

How long does this visa last for?

This is a permanent visa with a five-year travel facility. This means you can stay in Australia permanently but if you want to leave and return after five years you must apply for a resident return visa (link).