Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa
Simply put, the subclass 485 temporary graduate visa is one of the best reasons to choose to study in Australia. This visa lets new graduates from Australian universities and other higher education institutions stay in the country for up to 2 years with full work rights.
This gives you time to build experience for a general skilled migration (link) visa or search for an employer to sponsor you for an employer-sponsored visa (link).
There are two streams for the temporary graduate visa and eligibility will depend on when you held your first student visa and what subject you studied.
Requirements for both streams
There are several requirements that are common to both streams of the temporary graduate visa. These include:
· You have not held a subclass 485 or 476 visa as a primary applicant before
· You have achieved at least a score of 6 or equivalent (link) in the IELTS before applying for the visa
· You have applied for an Australian Federal Police check before applying for the visa
· You have health insurance arrangements in Australia before applying for the visa
· Standard health and character criteria
· You have satisfied the Australian study requirement in the 6-month period immediately before applying
· You must either:
o Hold a student visa
o Have held a student visa in the past 6 months and currently hold a bridging visa A or B
Eligibility criteria for the Post-Study Work stream
Specific criteria for the Post-Study Work stream include:
· Your first student visa must have been granted on or after 5 November 2011
· You must have been granted a bachelor degree or higher by a CRICOS-registered education provider within the last 6 months
Eligibility criteria for the Graduate Work stream
Specific criteria for the Graduate Work stream include:
· You have nominated an occupation on the MLTSSL
· You have been studying for a degree, diploma or trade qualification that is closely related to your nominated occupation
· You have applied for a subclass 485 skills assessment before applying for the visa
· Your skills assessment must be approved before grant of the visa
Common Problems for Applicants
· Once the visa is lodged, you cannot switch which stream you are applying for. You must be certain of which stream you are eligible for before you lodge
· English tests are valid for three years, so even if you have sat an English test before you may need to sit a new one before applying
· You must have your English result and evidence of your police clearance application before you apply for the visa, or else your visa will be refused
· It’s important to nominate the correct skilled occupation for the Graduate Work stream
· Always be aware of your current visa’s expiry date and conditions. Letting a visa expire without applying for a new one can have severe consequences, even if you try to apply the next day.
If you aren’t certain of your eligibility or what the right nominated occupation is for you, get in contact with our migration agents on 08 6161 9239.
The Australian study requirement
The Australian study requirement is relevant to several types of visa and requires the following:
· You have completed a registered course
· The course was the result of at least 2 academic years of study
· All instruction for the course was in English; and
· You were physically present in Australia for at least 16 months while studying the course, holding a visa that authorised you to study
Need more advice on whether you meet the Australian study requirement? Contact our migration agents on 08 6161 9239.
Temporary Graduate Visa Applicant FAQ
Where can I apply from?
You must be in Australia to apply for this visa. Family members included in your application can be inside or outside Australia.
Where can I receive the visa?
You must be in Australia to receive this visa. All family members included in your application must be in Australia to receive this visa.
What family members can I include?
Children under the age of 23 and spouses or de facto partners. Children over 18 must be financially dependent on you.
Can the health requirement (link) be waived for this visa?
This visa does not allow for waiver of the health requirement.
How long does this visa last for?
Post-study work stream: 2 years
Graduate work stream: 18 months