Are there any PR pathways left for students?

Recent changes in migration law have made it more and more difficult for international students to transition to permanent residency. The required points score for independent migration is higher than ever and work visas now require two or three years of experience. So what can you do to help ensure that you can stay in Australia? Here are our tips:

-Study in  state that has advantages for graduates. South Australia (Adelaide), Tasmania (Hobart) and the Australian Capital Territory (Canberra) all offer easier PR pathways for people who study for one or two years there.

-Use your graduate visa wisely. You need two years of experience to qualify for a TSS visa, and graduate visas only last for 1.5 or 2 years, depending on the stream. Try to line up work before your student visa expires so that you can make the most of the time you get on the graduate visa.

-It’s not all over if you have to go back. Experience that you gain in your home country is very valuable for improving your chances of Australian PR. The best strategic move might be to go back for a few years and gain paid, post-qualification work experience so that you can come back on a skilled visa. Make sure you keep payslips, bank records & other evidence of your employment.

If you’re studying in Australia and want to know more about your options, contact us today for a consultation on 08 6161 9239.

Anand K Gupta

MARN: 1465743