If you are a Canadian permanent resident or citizen with a family member who wants to immigrate to Canada, you may be able to help them become a permanent resident. Family reunification remains one of the pillars of the Canadian immigration system. The Family Class Sponsorship Program reunites families by enabling adult permanent residents or citizens to sponsor a relative for immigration to Canada
Being a sponsor of Canada you can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you’re at least 18 years old and a:
- Canadian citizen or,
- person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or,
- permanent resident of Canada
Being a sponsor of Canada, you may sponsor:
- Your spouse
- Common-law partner
- Conjugal partner
- Dependent child
- Adopted children
Requirements for a Sponsor
In addition to being a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, the sponsor must also fulfill a few other requirements in order to be eligible.
The sponsor must:
- Prove that they will be able to financially support their family member and any dependent, if necessary
- Enter into an agreement with the Government of Canada or Quebec, as well as the sponsored relative, where the sponsor will agree to support the family member for a certain amount of time. The sponsored relative must make an effort to support themselves, as well.
- Either reside in Canada prove their intention to live in Canada when the sponsored relative arrives in Canada
- Be at least 18 years old
- Not be incarcerated or charged with a serious offence
- Not be bankrupt
- Not be under a removal order if a Permanent Resident
For most cases the sponsor should reside in Canada for a sponsorship application. Although a Canadian citizen is in abroad, he is able to sponsor his spouse, common-law partner, linguistic or dependent child, if the sponsored person lives in Canada, the sponsored person becomes a Canadian permanent resident.
Although the government gives priority to the processing of sponsorship applications, but all requirements for a successful application should be met, because even the slightest error on an application can lead to a refusal. In order to take advantage of this great opportunity, individuals should seek professional help who knows how to send a package that will provide the best opportunity to sponsor an applicant.
Individuals interested in applying under the Family Class sponsorship category may contact Red Earth Migration