Distinguished Talent Visa – Subclass 858
Distinguished Talent visa program is not for the average person, but rather for people who are at the absolute top of their field. If you have a long history of top international achievement and would like to bring your skills to Australia, this may be the visa for you.
Subclass 858 is for visas lodged inside Australia.
A Distinguished Talent visa can be lodged without invitation, but the application must be accompanied by a nomination from an nationally-recognised Australian person or organisation.
Visa eligibility criteria
The main criteria for a Distinguished Talent visa include:
- You have an internationally-recognised record of exceptional achievement in:
- A profession
- A sport
- The arts
- Academia and research
- Your record is sustained and consistent
- You are still prominent in your area
- Your skills would be of benefit to Australia
- You are nominated by an Australian citizen, permanent resident or organization which can attest to your record of achievement
- If you are under 18 or over 55 years old, your presence would be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community
- Standard health and character criteria
For secondary/dependent applicants making an onshore application (subclass 858):
- Generally speaking, you must be a member of the family unit of the primary applicant at both time of application and time of decision. However, if you were a member of the family unit at time of application and:
- Your relationship with the primary applicant has ceased; and
- You were subject to family violence by the primary applicant;
then your visa may be granted.
Applicants may be eligible for this visa if they:
- have a nominator
- must have a record of exceptional and outstanding achievement and must be internationally recognised in a profession, the arts, sport, research or academia.
- have relevant qualifications and/or awards received by internationally recognised institutions.
- provide evidence that the applicant is still prominent in the field.
It is a unique visa with no age limit, no English requirement and no skills assessment, however only a very few applicants could prove international recognition. The uptake and the appeal of this visa was increased considerably when the government started in November 2019 Global Talent Independent (GTI) program
Global talent visa program
This is a special government program streamlining and prioritising applications from some highly skilled professionals not necessarily already accomplished internationally. Australia is after the brightest and best global talent to work in seven future-focused sectors. The program is designed to help grow our economy by innovation and advancing technology. The recent outstanding PhD and Masters or Honours graduates are encouraged to apply. GTI priority processing is available to applicants who are currently working or studying in the following seven sectors:
- Space and Advanced Manufacturing
- Energy and Mining Technology
- Cyber Security
- Quantum Information, Advanced Digital, Data Science and ICT
The applicants are expected to be or have the potential to become high-income earners. The Fair Work Australia High Income Threshold figure should be taken as a guide. Currently, it is $153600. The Department of Home Affairs has established a special unit assessing the expression of interest for the program and issues special endorsement identifiers assuring priority processing for the approved applicants. In 2020-2021, there are 15,000 places available under the program
Common problems for applicants
You must be at the very top of your field to receive this visa. For example, if you are a sportsperson it is expected you will be one of the top 5 players in the world.
You must still be prominent in the field, i.e. you cannot have retired.
The nomination document must be lodged at the same time as the application and must be a comprehensive list of your achievements.
Even if your record is considered exceptional in your home country, you must be able show it is exceptional according to international standards.
Unsure if your record is strong enough to apply? Having trouble making sure your nomination form is completed to a high enough standard? Red Earth Migration can assist. Contact us on 08 6161 9239 to schedule a consultation with one of our migration experts today.
Distinguished talent applicant FAQ
You must be inside australia to apply.
You must be inside australia to receive this visa.
Children under the age of 23 and spouses or de facto partners. Children over 18 must be financially dependent on you.
This visa does not allow for waiver of the health requirement.
This is a permanent visa with a five-year travel facility. This means you can stay in australia permanently but if you want to leave and return after five years you must apply for a resident return visa.
|Length of stay:
From AUD 4,110