While Australian permanent resident visas allow people to stay indefinitely in Australia, there is a limit on how long you can travel outside and return to Australia while holding a permanent resident visa. In order to extend the time that you can return to Australia, without becoming an Australian citizen, you will need to apply for a resident return visa.
This visa may also let you regain permanent resident status if you have left Australia and your previous permanent resident visa has lapsed.
Resident Return Visa Application Process
This is a single-stage visa with no sponsorship requirement.
Eligibility Requirements for Resident Return Visas
The exact requirements to receive a resident return visa are complex, but eligible applicants can be divided into three main categories:
- People who have spent at least 2 years in Australia in the last 5 years as a permanent resident or citizen
- People who have spent some time in Australia within the last 5 or last 10 years and have substantial ties to Australia
- People who have compelling reasons which explain their long absences from Australia
If you believe you may fall into any of the above categories and would like further advice on your eligibility, contact us on 08 6161 9239 to schedule a consultation with one of our migration experts.
Common Problems for Applicants
- Be aware of how many days you have spent in Australia. If you have spent over 730 days in the last five years then the application process is very simple, otherwise it becomes much more complex
- Relatedly, it is not possible to maintain permanent residency in Australia if you do not maintain strong connections to Australia.
- Always be aware of the expiry of your permanent visa’s travel facility. You can stay in Australia indefinitely but if you leave without renewing your travel facility then your visa will cease.
If you aren’t certain of what evidence is required, need advice on whether you may be eligible for this visa, or want assistance with the application process, contact us today on on 08 6161 9239.
Resident Return Visa Application FAQ
|Where can I apply from?||You can be inside or outside Australia to apply for this visa.
|Where can I receive the visa?||You can be inside or outside Australia to receive this visa.|
|What family members can I include?||You can only include family members who were themselves permanent residents.|
|Can the health requirement be waived for this visa?||There is no health requirement for this visa.|
|How long does this visa last for?||These are permanent visas with varying travel facility times. If you have spent 2 years in Australia, you will receive a 5-year travel facility. Otherwise your travel facility could be 1 year or 3 months depending on your exact circumstances.|
|Stream||75 per cent of applications processed||90 per cent of applications processed|
|155||5 days||8 days|
|157||Unavailable due to low volume of applications.||Unavailable due to low volume of applications.|
Note: Processing Time May Vary
- Visa Subclass : 155 and 157
- Length of stay : Permanent visa with travel facility of up to 5 years
- Cost : From AUD 365