The subclass 189 skilled independent visa is a no-strings-attached permanent visa that lets you live and work in Australia with no restrictions as to location or employer. It is aimed at facilitating easy migration to Australia for people with skills that are in demand across Australia.
- Identify an occupation on the MLTSSL
- Apply for and receive a positive skills assessment for your skilled occupation
- If necessary, sit an English test
- Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) with SkillSelect
- Receive invitation to apply
- Make application within 60 days
Visa Eligibility Criteria
The major criteria for a subclass 189 Skilled Independent visa are:
- A positive skills assessment for your occupation
- Achieving an English standard of at least IELTS 6 or equivalent
- Being aged between 18 and 45 inclusive. In other words, you cannot have turned 45 at the time of invitation.
- Standard health and character criteria.
- Having at least 65 points on the General Skilled Migration points test
The Points Test
All candidates to migrate to Australia through the General Skilled Migration program are ranked based on a points test. Applicants must reach at least 65 points, but those with higher points will be invited before those with lower points. Click here to work out how many points you currently have.
There is a limited number of invitations that will be issued for each occupation in any given year, but in practice very few occupations will ever reach this occupation ceiling. Occupations that are likely to reach the occupation ceiling are handled differently to other occupations and you may require a higher score than 60 points to receive an invitation for one of these occupations.
Common Problems for Applicants
- It’s important to nominate the correct occupation for the position you are nominating. The nominated occupation can be the difference between visa grant and visa refusal, and you cannot change your mind after the application has been lodged.
- We recommend that visa applicants attend an English test as soon as possible after deciding to apply for a General Skilled Migration visa, if you have not already achieved the required level of English in the last three years.
- If you want to apply from within Australia, always be aware of your current visa’s expiry date and conditions. Letting a visa expire without applying for a new one can have severe consequences, even if you try to apply the next day.
Red Earth Migration can assist you to work out the correct nominated occupation, advise on the best English test to suit you and keep you informed about work with you to make sure your visa application is lodged before your current visa expires. Contact us on 08 6161 9239 for a consultation today.
Skilled Independent Visa Applicant FAQ
|Where can I apply from?||You can apply from either outside Australia or inside Australia.|
|Where can I receive the visa?||You can receive the visa either outside Australia or inside Australia.|
|What family members can I include?||Children under the age of 23 and spouses or de facto partners. Children over 18 must be financially dependent on you.|
|Can the health requirement be waived for this visa?||This visa does not allow for waiver of the health requirement.|
|How long does this visa last for?||This is a permanent visa with a five-year travel facility. This means you can stay in Australia permanently but if you want to leave and return after five years you must apply for a resident return visa .|
|75 per cent of applications processed||90 per cent of applications processed|
|8 months||9 months|
- Visa Subclass : 189
- Length Of Stay : Permanently
- Cost : From AUD 3,670