If you would like to stay in Australia to gain work experience after completing your Australian qualification you may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa. This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to four years, depending on your qualifications. The Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa has two streams:
- Graduate Work stream—for eligible international students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
- Post-Study Work stream—for eligible international students who graduate with a bachelor, masters or doctoral degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study.
What sort of work can I do on this visa?
The subclass 485 visa does not restrict the type of work you may do or the number of hours you may work.
Do I need to find an employer to sponsor me for this visa?
Employer sponsorship is not required to obtain this visa. However, you are responsible for securing your own employment if you wish to work while in Australia on this visa.
What are the visa requirements?
At the time you apply for this visa you must:
- be in Australia
- be under 50 years of age
- hold a valid visa
- hold or have held an eligible Student visa in the last six months
- have evidence of competent English
- book or complete a medical examination
- have adequate health insurance in place. This is required for the duration of the visa processing period and your stay in Australia on this visa
- have requested a National Police Check from the Australian Federal Police
Additional visa requirements for Graduate Work stream at the time you apply for this visa you must:
- nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List
- have applied for a skills assessment in your nominated occupation
- have met the Australian study requirement in the last six months. Any degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement must be closely related to your nominated occupation.
Additional visa requirements for Post-Study Work Stream At the time you apply for this visa you must:
- have applied for and subsequently been granted your first Student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011
- have met the Australian study requirement in the last six months based on bachelor, masters or doctoral degree studies completed at an eligible institution.
What documents do I need to provide with my application?
- Identity documents
- English requirements
- Study documents
- Skill assessment documents (for graduate stream)
- Australian values statement
- Health insurance documents
- character documents
- No debts to Australian government
- No previous cancellations or refusals
- Partner and Dependent documents if any.
How long does this visa let me stay in Australia?
|Graduate Work Stream||18 months|
Post-Study Work Stream
Bachelor Degree with Honours
Masters by Coursework Degree
|Master by Research Degree||3 years|
|Doctoral Degree||4 years|
|Stream||75 per cent of applications processed||90 per cent of applications processed|
|Graduate Work||3 months||5 months|
|Post-Study Work||50 days||62 days|
Note: Processing Time May Vary
- Visa Subclass : 485
- Length Of Stay : Graduate Work stream - 18 months & Post-Study Work stream - 2-4 years
- Cost : From AUD 1,500