Permanent Residency Are you studying a Short Term Trade Course?

Permanent Residency Australia

International students are accessing courses which are a  pathway to possibly securing them Permanent residency in Australia.

Every student who comes to Australia on a student visa aims to study, work and then reside permanently in Australia. Students get the Post Study Work Visa (Visa Subclass 485) on completion of their degree/course. It is important that the education qualification and the jobs match each other in the medium and long term occupation list of the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA).

Trade courses have job ready programs for the careers of the students who hold an Australian qualification. JRP is an employment based skills assessment program that provides students an opportunity to demonstrate that their skills and jobs are relevant to their nominated occupation, in an Australian work place before students apply for migration process in Australia.

The Trade Recognition of Australia (TRA) is a body that provides the services of skill assessment with the specialization for the assessment of those with trade skills gained in Australia. A positive assessment is the way towards the Permanent Residency.

The important points needed for consideration are:

  • You need to meet the study requirement. It is required that you should study for a minimum of 2 years in Australia but this may vary depending on your course and level. Basically, it is higher education or vocational studies or vocational leading to higher studies.
  • You need to apply for your Post Study Work within the 6 months of completion of your studies.
  • During the post study work your job description should match with the Job Description available at ANZSCO. This is a body named Australia & New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) which collects, analyze the occupations statistic across government agencies and publishes it. The department of Home Affairs (DOHA)uses it  to capture each and every information in all the settlements, citizenships and all various kinds of visas in the same field
  • One year of post study work experience in Australia will fetch you extra points when filing for Permanent Residency.
  • Your course of study should be listed under CRICOS. You should consult a migration agent for further requirement. Your migration agent will provide you the courses that will lead to the occupation listed for  Permanent Residency.

To find out more about the courses that will lead to permanent residency, get in touch with our team of experts at Red Earth Migration who has been helping and assisting International students in understanding the different course options and the suitable visas.

You can book an appointment with our consultants by sending an email to or call (08)6161 9239 / 0410 755 603.


NB: Requirements are subject to change by the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA).

Related posts