The prospective marriage 300 visas are given to those people who are engaged and want to get married in Australia to an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. They can have an Australian wedding within the 9 months of the visa being granted.
After the wedding and before the 9 months is up, the overseas spouse can apply for an onshore partner visa. They are able to wait in Australia while the visa is being decided. In that time they can study or work. You can also leave Australia (for example to go on a honeymoon) and come back within 9 months.
You should not get married overseas before being granted the Prospective marriage visa.
For Visa Applicants
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- You must be out of Australia at the time of application and visa grant
- You must show that you are in a genuine relationship and genuinely are planning to get married in Australia.
- You must be sponsored by your fiancé / fiancée
- You must meet health and character requirements
- You must repay or have arrangements to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government
- You must be the fiancé of visa applicant
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Not have sponsored anyone else within the last 5 years
- Not be sponsored yourself within in the last 5 years
ENTITLEMENTS OF THE PROSPECTIVE MARRIAGE VISA
Once you have been given your visa, you will receive some type of short-term benefits.
- Enter to Australia before marrying your future partner.
- Within the validity period of nine months, leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like.
- Work in Australia with unrestricted Work Rights.
- Study in Australia, but you will not have access to government funding for tertiary study.
- Apply for an onshore Partner visa after getting married.
The Visa Application Charge is AU$7,160.
You will be required to pay other costs related to the health and character requirements such as; health assessments, police certificates and biometrics.
- 75% of applications: 13 months
- 90% of applications: 21 months