If you currently hold a student visa and have recently completed (or will soon complete) your Australian course of study, you may be eligible for a *Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa* in either the Graduate Work stream or the Post-Study Work stream.

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies.

The 485 visa can be offered from 18 months to four years, depending on the stream and on your completed course. The 485 visa does not require sponsorship from an employer, a relative or a state or territory of Australia and is not points-tested.

It is very important that the correct stream is chosen as you cannot change the stream after application.

  • Graduate Work stream – for international students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Medium and Long Term List MLTSSL.
  • Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with an eligible qualification. This stream is only available to students who applied for and were granted their first Student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011.

You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided.


  • Whether you hold your first or subsequent student visa
  • The date of application of your student visa
  • The date of completion of your course
  • The length of your course
  • The occupation your course allows you to nominate 
  • The level of higher education you completed (Cert IV, Diploma, Degree, Masters etc)
  • Whether you received credits for overseas studies

If you are applying for the Graduate Work Stream you will need to obtain a positive skill assessment.

A Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa must be lodged within six months of completion of your course, and prior to your student visa expiring.


The length of a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) depends on the stream that you applied in. If your family joins you in Australia on this visa, their visas will be valid while your visa is valid.

Graduate Work stream

This visa will be valid for 18 months.

Post-Study Work stream

This visa lasts for two to four years, depending on the highest qualification you used to apply for this visa:

  • Bachelor’s degree, honours degree, masters by coursework degree or masters (extended) degree – two years
  • Master’s degree by research – three years
  • Doctoral degree – four years



Related posts